Monday 4 February 2013

Redemption, however slight...

After a disappointing week and a 0.2 pound gain when I weighed myself yesterday, I decided to weigh myself again today. I'm not big on the whole weigh-yourself-everyday ordeal - I feel that it can set yourself up for disappointment and failure - but I wanted to see if I did actually gain 0.2 pounds or if it was just water retention from all the salty popcorn I ate the night before. I am currently down to 255.1 pounds, with a total loss of 12 pounds. It's not a significant loss, but I'll take a slight loss over a gain any day! I just have to be more diligent in my exercise and eating efforts to ensure that I don't have any more gains, regardless of how slight they may be.

I took my body measurements today. I'm not sure why I didn't take my measurements right from the start. It would have been nice to have a log of my body measurements before I started to see if my body has changed at all since I began four weeks ago.  My husband says that he can see a difference, but I think he may be a little crazy... It's only been 12 pounds! I could understand if I had lost 50 pounds, but not 12. Maybe he's just saying that he notices a difference because he wants to make me feel better, or maybe he actually can tell a difference, who knows. I know I can't see anything yet. Here are my body measurements currently:

Upper Arm: 14.5 inches (left) and 15 inches (right)
Forearm: 12.5 inches (left) and 11.5 inches (right)
Upper Thigh: 28.5 inches (left) and 29 inches (right)
Calf: 17.25 inches (left) and 17.75 inches (right)
Hips: 53 inches
Waist: 45 inches
Chest: 43 inches

It's interesting that the right side of my body is slightly larger than my left. I suppose it would make sense being that I am right handed, thus the right side of my body would be my "dominant" side. It'll be even more interesting to compare my measurements down to road to see if my right side always remains larger than my left side. I think I'd like to take my measurements once a month to see how I'm doing. I know that sometimes weight loss may not manifest itself in the numbers on the scale going down, but by the number of inches lost. I'll post my measurements again at the beginning of March.

I've been shopping around for a heart monitor. I thought it would be a good idea to purchase one because there are some activities I do, such as my workout DVDs, that I have no idea how to gauge how many calories I am burning. When I do my DVD (Beachbody's Slim in 6 - Start it Up), I've just been entering the data into Lose It! as "aerobics" because I don't know what else to classify it as. I tried looking online to see if there was any information about the number of calories burned for that particular DVD, but I didn't really find anything. At least with a heart monitor, it would give me an estimate of calories burned based on my heart rate during whatever activity I happen to be doing.

So far I haven't found a monitor that I both like and that is within my price range. There have been a couple that I thought about purchasing, but after reading the consumer reviews, I have decided that that particular brand/model wouldn't be worth it. I had a couple of people from my group on Lose It! recommend the brand Polar, but I'm still looking through the different models and reading the reviews before I finally make a decision. I want to make sure that I'm getting a good quality product. I should hopefully have one picked out and purchased by the end of the week.

Since starting my blog, I have started reading two other blogs that are primarily about weight loss. I have found them both very interesting and inspirational! If you're interested at all, you can check them out: http://lizzysweightlossquest.blogspot.com and http://abyerly.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment